Goji Berries Reviews: The benefits of using Goji Berry!
There has been a lot of talk lately about the health benefits of Goji Berries, making them out to be a rejuvenating source of youth and source of prevention from chronic illnesses. But what exactly is a Goji Berry and is there any truth to this talk? Can Goji Berries really make you healthier and if so, how can you get them into your life? We’ll take a look at the answers to these questions and more in this Goji Berry review.
What Is a Goji Berry?
Goji Berries are brightly colored red-orange berries that are also called wolfberries. The berries are part of the Nightshade family, are native to China and the come from an evergreen shrub. Practitioners of ancient Chinese medicine have been harvesting the healing and longevity power of the Goji Berry for generations, believing that the health benefits of ingesting the fruit will help them live longer. Does it? Well, China does have a significant older population, but is that proof enough?
You can find Goji Berries growing in the subtropical regions of the Far East including Mongolia and the Himalayan Mountains. When people harvest the Goji Berry, they typically look like shriveled, dried red raisins. For centuries, these were either eaten raw like raisins, cooked into food, drank as wines, teas and juices, or extracted through crushing for medicine.
What Are the Benefits of Goji Berries?
Ancient medicine men believed that Goji Berries could help reduce the effects of aging, including diseases that come with age. They were also thought to help with diabetes, fever, high blood pressure and eye problems, especially as you go older. But how right were these ancient medicine men?
Well, modern research shows that they were pretty spot on. Just like other berries such as blueberries, acai berries and cranberries, the Goji Berry packs some serious health benefits, mostly thanks to their high levels of powerful antioxidants and Vitamin A.
Antioxidants have been shown time and time again to protect the DNA and cells in your body from harm by free radicals that are out to deteriorate them. When these cells are harmed or the DNA is changed, cellular structure becomes abnormal which leads to disease as well as increased signs of aging.
The Goji Berry has also been shown to have a number of other health benefits such as:
- Producing mental well-being
- Promoting calmness and reducing anxiety
- Aiding in happiness
- Positively affecting your quality of sleep
- Increasing athletic performance
- Improving circulation
- Increasing sexual drive and fertility
- Boosting your immune system
- Protecting your liver from damage
- Helping you live a longer, happier life
- Helping to protect and improve your eyesight
It’s clear that the Goji Berry has a number of health benefits that are clinically proven to exist, making it a wildly popular ingredient for drinks, teas, health bars, food supplements and pills.
Three Reasons Goji Berries are Great for Your Body
Despite these findings, the popularity of Goji Berries has mainly been attributed to three health benefits. Whether or not this is because they are more effective than other sources of food in helping these areas or it’s just good marketing is unclear. There is no evidence to suggest that these three areas are any more powerfully affected by the Goji Berry—the health benefits of Goji Berries are are equally powerful in all areas. These are just the most popular:
- Improving Your Eyesight. Since Goji Berries have powerful antioxidants that are called carotenoids, they are helpful for your eyes. Carotenoids like beta-carotene and zeaxanthin protect the eye in various ways. For instance, zeaxanthin is the retina’s protector, absorbing harmful blue light and eradicating it as a free radical. Studies have shown that increasing the amount of zeaxanthin in your diet will reduce your risk of developing AMD (age related macular degeneration). AMD is the leading cause of blindness and vision loss in those 65 years of age and older.
- Reducing Your Risk of Cancer. Since cancer is one of the top killers in just about every society across the world, it makes sense that reducing your risk by simply eating Goji Berries would be so popular. In a study published in the Chinese Journal of Oncology, 79 people who had cancer responded better to their treatment regimens when Goji Berries were added. Scientists believe this is due to the high number of antioxidants in the berry. The extract of Goji Berries has also been shown to prevent the growth of cancerous cells, lower you blood glucose and reduce your cholesterol level.
- As an Overall Good Health Drink. Goji Berries has so many health benefits that it has become an extremely popular health tonic for many people concerned with getting healthier naturally. Unfortunately, Goji Juice can be a bit pricey though the people who use it swear by it. In one instance, a man was reported to live to the ripe old age of 252 by drinking Goji Juice, though this is probably exaggerated. Still, the benefits of Goji Berries can be found in many other more affordable methods as well.
Do Goji Berries Have Side Effects?
Goji Berries appear to be completely safe and harmless when eaten in moderation. As with anything you consume, possible interactions or allergies could occur. The only interactions that have been speculated for Goji Berries is Warfarin, a blood thinner, diabetes medicine, herbal drugs and high or low blood pressure drugs. As always, consult your physician before starting any type of health supplement.